APPX is the Premier Development and Runtime Environment for Business Application Software
(Answer) (Category) FAQ's - APPX Software, Inc. : (Category) APPX Utility : (Category) APPX Runtime Environment : (Category) Other Runtime Questions :
What is dynamic indexing?
Dynamic indexing allows you to alternately sort the data (PDF) displayed on an input screen. Normally, the data sequence is by a predefined key in the PDF. Use dynamic indexing to temporarily change the data sequence. The new sort is active for the current APPX session only and is not saved. Place the cursor in the field that you wish to sort on and press F3. A confirmation message will appear on the status line, press Enter and the data is now “indexed” by the field chosen. There are several environment variables that can be set to control dynamic indexing (_DYNAKEYS).
Bruce Johnston 15, '04:
You can also create a dynamic index via ILF (at least from 4.1 through 4.2.2).
Given two fields, DGA FDRFEPR FED WASTE PRE and DGA FDRFEPR FED WASTE SUF, if I want to sort by the PRE and then by the SUF, both in ascending order, I use the following...
      PASS     DGA FDRFEPR FED WASTE PRE      FIELD            SHARE? N         
      PASS     DGA FDRFEPR FED WASTE SUF      FIELD            SHARE? N         
      CALL         ,PI_DYNA_BLD               RESIDENT? N  END? N  FAIL 0       
If I wanted to change the default order of any to reverse it I'd simply double up its PASS command as in...
      PASS     DGA FDRFEPR FED WASTE PRE      FIELD            SHARE? N         
      CALL         ,PI_DYNA_BLD               RESIDENT? N  END? N  FAIL 0       
which gives the records sorted by the PRE in ascending order followed by the SUF
in descending order.

I believe that it was Korry who first told me this.
[Append to This Answer]
2004-Apr-01 3:13pm
Previous: (Answer) How do you turn off dynamic indexing in APPX?
Next: (Answer) What are the maximum file size(s) in APPX?
This document is: http://board.appx.com/cgi-bin/fom.cgi?file=163
[Search] [Appearance]
This is a Faq-O-Matic 2.719.
Copyright 2003 by APPX Software, Inc. All rights reserved.