APPX is the Premier Development and Runtime Environment for Business Application Software
(Answer) (Category) FAQ's - APPX Software, Inc. : (Category) APPX Utility : (Category) APPX System Administration :
APPX.EXE process is consuming 95%
I look in my NT task manager and see that an APPX.EXE process is consuming 95% (or more) of the CPU. Why do I get these runaway processes?
A process using large amounts of CPU is not likely to be a "runaway" in the sense that it is malfunctioning, and is out of control, taking over your computer. What IS likely, though, is that it is an OUTPUT, or UPDATE, or some other process which takes a while to run, and does lots of I/O and/or data processing. (Designers, Cross Reference has been known to do this when run across multiple large apps). Until the process finishes, it will likely keep using a large percentage of CPU time, simply because that is how NT chooses to allocate CPU time. (The strategy seems to be, "Oh, you don't need any keyboard input? Good, I'll let you keep busy, since you seem to be making lots of progress." This is NT doing what it thinks is the right thing -- APPX has done nothing to raise the priority of these processes, or lower the priority of others.) The best thing to do is just be patient.

Some users have reported that it really helps to run on a multi-processor system, so that even if you have one or two of these CPU-hogging processes running, there is still likely to be a CPU which is not as busy.

Bruce Johnston, Jan 14, '04: One cause of an input hogging a cpu may be inappropriate use of --- ALTERNATE IMAGE NUMBER. It's been a while but a few processes that I had might set this to zero when the series was hit subsequent to pressing F4. Look at this carefully and always set it to a valid value at the beginning of the ILF series before any logic which might change it.
[Append to This Answer]
2004-Jan-14 7:29pm
Previous: (Answer) Printing to a printer produces blank pages.
Next: (Answer) The command-line "kill" too time-consuming and error-prone. Is there a better alternative?
This document is: http://board.appx.com/cgi-bin/fom.cgi?file=300
[Search] [Appearance]
This is a Faq-O-Matic 2.719.
Copyright 2003 by APPX Software, Inc. All rights reserved.