APPX is the Premier Development and Runtime Environment for Business Application Software
(Answer) (Category) FAQ's - APPX Software, Inc. : (Category) APPX Utility : (Category) APPX System Administration :
All of my users except for one have gone home for the night, and I am sure they have turned off their PC's. I still see three (or four, or ten) APPX.EXE processes in the server's task list. Why are they there?
ONE will be there, because it is the APPX License Server. Some installation maintain a separate copy of appx.exe called AppxLicS.exe (for example) and invoke this copy to start the License Server. This keeps the task separate from (but close to) the group of APPX tasks in the NT Task Manager's list."

At least one other server side process will be there to service your remaining user's connection. (If the user has more than one APPX Client session running, there will be one server side process for each Client session.)

Generally, the others are there because users did not properly exit the APPX client (END'ing until the APPX Client window disappears). For example, they may have just hit the power switch or executed shutdown on their PC without properly exiting APPX. In the APPX world, we refer to these leftover server APPX.EXE's as "orphans". It is probably a good idea to look for and kill orphan processes from time to time, particularly if your system goes days or weeks without a reboot (which would remove the orphans).

If you're running APPX 4.0.a or higher, you should set environment variable APPX_LS_GHOSTS=True. This will cause the APPX License Server to perform periodic cleanup of the APPX usage register, and may help keep the number of orphaned sessions down.

Bruce Johnston Jan 15, '04: Observation: while I've seen APPX do a fair job at toasting server sessions when the client side dies unexpectedly there is one instance in which it will fail to do so, 100% of the time AFAIK.
Up to appx-in-a-browser 4.18, if the user simply uses the "X" to close the browser window then the server session will never get blown away.
Someday I should update BJUtils and put out something which would blow away (such) sessions that have been active for, say, 24 hours or more.
[Append to This Answer]
2004-Jan-15 8:43am
Previous: (Answer) How can I determine which APPX.EXE processes on my server are orphans?
Next: (Answer) A user just called me to say that her APPX Client window just disappeared, or there was a power outage or system malfunction, that caused their APPX Client session to end unexpectedly. Do I need to do anything?
This document is: http://board.appx.com/cgi-bin/fom.cgi?file=303
[Search] [Appearance]
This is a Faq-O-Matic 2.719.
Copyright 2003 by APPX Software, Inc. All rights reserved.