APPX is the Premier Development and Runtime Environment for Business Application Software
(Answer) (Category) FAQ's - APPX Software, Inc. : (Category) APPX Utility : (Category) APPX System Administration :
Is it safe to stop WinAppxD, if I'm going to need to restart it again without rebooting my server?
MAYBE. Sometimes you can stop WinAppxD, then manually start it again, and everything will work fine. However, sometimes the manual restart process is not successful. This appears to be due to NT not properly releasing the port (usually 8060) when WinAppxD is stopped. If the port is not released, when WinAppxD restarts and attempts to recapture it, it can't, so client logins won't be accepted.

See "My WinAppxD gets stuck regularly ...” for a workaround to this. It may be a very good idea to set up Multiple WinAppxD servers as a fallback position, in case you unexpectedly get a hung port condition.) If the restart fails, you can try stopping WinAppxD again (if one started during the restart process) and restarting it again. If a WinAppxD.exe does not reappear in the task list, or if it appears but client logins are not accepted, at this point, your only option is to reboot.

We don't have any figures as to what percentage of the time this is and is not successful. In general, if you stop a WORKING WinAppxD, and expect to be able to restart it without a reboot, YOU ARE TAKING A CHANCE. It may or may not work, due to NT. If you stop a malfunctioning WinAppxD in the hope that restarting it will resolve the error condition without a reboot, you have nothing to lose. In that case, it is definitely worth a try. (You must be logged in as Administrator to do this.)

[Append to This Answer]
2004-Jan-09 10:30am
Previous: (Answer) When might I want to stop and restart WinAppxD (either with, or without, a reboot)?
Next: (Answer) How do I stop WinAppxD?
This document is: http://board.appx.com/cgi-bin/fom.cgi?file=310
[Search] [Appearance]
This is a Faq-O-Matic 2.719.
Copyright 2003 by APPX Software, Inc. All rights reserved.