APPX is the Premier Development and Runtime Environment for Business Application Software
(Answer) (Category) FAQ's - APPX Software, Inc. : (Category) APPX Utility : (Category) APPX Installation & Configuration :
Can I keep the APPX client .exe file on a server and launch it from across the network on my clients?
You can do this UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS. Basically, "the" condition is that your network has to be fast, uncongested, stable and reliable. If your network has a slow (less than 1 mbit/sec) communications link somewhere between the server and any clients, we STRONGLY recommend storing the client .exe file locally on each client machine on the far side of the slow link. Similarly, if your routers are not recent, top of the line equipment built for, well, abuse, they may drop net frames on the floor silently when they get busy or when a link (like an Internet or X.25 link) slows down. Basically, remember you are probably working over Ethernet, and Ethernet likes to have no more than half its bandwidth in use at any time. Additionally, some routers still use 68000's as their CPU's (think original Apple Mac speed, and you've got a ballpark estimate of the processing power here.) Still other pieces of net equipment, like certain T1 interfaces, are just buggy. Lots of traffic taxes everything on the network, and network equipment can fail in many strange, unpredictable and VERY difficult to diagnose ways in such situations.

If you really, really, really are set on the idea of storing the client on a central server, be warned that the typical failure symptom you will see when you push your network too hard, will be APPX clients "just disappearing" seemingly randomly. If you see things like that, or if processes that normally work randomly lock up client computers, and you have ANY clients ANYWHERE on your net loading appx.exe across the network, please set all clients to use a LOCAL copy of appx.exe and see if that takes care of the problem, before you call APPX Technical Support.

Why is the APPX Client affected by this, and web browsing, file service, and other functions not? The APPX Client works like a UNIX telnet, and requires a constant connection between the client and the server. There will be code in 3.3 to reconnect dropped sessions, but it's probably best not to rely on this (performance will be slowed each time the client has to reconnect) if you can avoid it just by storing the client locally.

If you are that concerned about the maintenance headache of updating several dozen clients' copies of appx.exe when a new version comes out, consider investing in one of the network software management packages out there, like Microsoft's SMS. (This isn't an official APPX "go out and buy it" recommendation, just a word to the wise regarding something you might want to consider.)

APPX doesn't want to run my APPX_PRT_SCRIPT. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, most likely. However, current versions of APPX blindly pre-penned the APPXPATH to the value of APPX_PRT_SCRIPT. In order for APPX to properly invoke a replacement APPX_PRT_SCRIPT:

- your replacement print script must be in the APPXPATH directory
        - you must set APPX_PRT_SCRIPT to the file name, not including
          any directory or drive letter information in front of it (for
          example, you might set APPX_PRT_SCRIPT=myprint.exe)
        - APPX_PRT_SCRIPT must be set ON THE SERVER (not the client;
          remember, when connecting to APPX Presentation Server, the
          SERVER controls the printing), along with APPXPATH and the
          other standard variables.  Generally this is done from
          Control Panel / System / User Environment.  Remember to
          reboot after you change this.

[Append to This Answer]
2004-Feb-27 4:54pm
Previous: (Answer) When installing APPX clients using WinAppxD, what do I need to know about the server?
Next: (Answer) Winprint won't print to all or some of my printers. Help?
This document is: http://board.appx.com/cgi-bin/fom.cgi?file=407
[Search] [Appearance]
This is a Faq-O-Matic 2.719.
Copyright 2003 by APPX Software, Inc. All rights reserved.