APPX is the Premier Development and Runtime Environment for Business Application Software
(Answer) (Category) FAQ's - APPX Software, Inc. : (Category) APPX Utility : (Category) APPX System Administration :
Why is my RDBMS import so slow?
"I am importing files residing on our AIX platform to an Oracle database on our Solaris platform. The APPX program is running on the AIX platform. "The import runs very slowly, even when processing files with less than 50,000 records. I have taken out all the constraints and alternate keys from the APPX file descriptions in an attempt to speed up the process. Why does it run so slowly, and how might I speed it up?"
==> When APPX imports records into an Oracle database, APPX reads a record from the source file and then executes a SQL INSERT ROW statement to insert the row (record) into the Oracle database. With every insert, APPX executes a commit statement. The environment variable APPX_IMPORT_COMMIT can be set to change the commit frequency which may improve importing performance, for example:
                     export APPX_IMPORT_COMMIT=5000      
An INSERT ROW statement updates the indexes that are defined for the Oracle table. Inserting individual rows of data and updating the indexes is probably the slowest operation that you can perform with a database.

Performance of the import operation can be improved dramatically by removing the indexes from the Oracle table. Check to make sure that the indexes have really been removed from the Oracle table. I know that you removed them from the APPX data dictionary. But, have they actually been removed from the Oracle database? After the data is imported, add the indexes back via Appx restructure.

Having your database reside on a different system than APPX significantly impacts performance. Each INSERT ROW statement will generate one or more TCP/IP transactions. Moving data thru a network can be painfully slow. We recommend installing APPX on the same system as your database if at all possible.

You may want to ask your DBA to monitor the Oracle database and verify that all configuration settings that might affect performance are set appropriately.

ecr #7007

[Append to This Answer]
2003-Nov-24 10:10am
Previous: (Answer) How to import dates from APPX to Oracle.
Next: (Answer) What is a security profile?
This document is: http://board.appx.com/cgi-bin/fom.cgi?file=165
[Search] [Appearance]
This is a Faq-O-Matic 2.719.
Copyright 2003 by APPX Software, Inc. All rights reserved.